



**Westview Community Organization
Monthly Meeting Minutes
March 3, 2014**

The meeting was called to order at 7:03pm by President Ayana Gabriel.

Ayana (A): Minutes are up front. The membership sign-in sheet is going around.

Pat Perdew (Pat): Solstice committee sign-up sheet is going around as well for people that want to be on that committee.

Jamie Fischer - Chaplain (Ja): Invocation

Approval of Minutes

Patrick (P): Correction. Address at bottom should be changed.

Ms. Chambers: Motion of acceptance pending correction. John Davis: Second.

16 yay, 0 opposed.

New Business

a) Summer Solstice: June 21st, Meeting March 17th

A: Time to start planning. Ms. Perdew and Octavia, two members, who have stepped forward to co-chair planning. Turning floor over to Pat to discuss solstice and upcoming meeting.

Pat: Really excited. A lot of background to work from. From people we've contacted, they're excited as well. Looking at different things. Considering a bake-off. One suggestion: a theme for the solstice as well as having the children do a contest to write a song about Westview. Also, someone from Gordon College said they would help with an essay contest about "what I like about my neighborhood". Need to do it quick because of school. Winner would be presented at the solstice. One suggestion for a theme is "the village", "saving the village". We have several committees. And we need people to sign up. You will be responsible for that. Take on your responsibility and build a committee. We're going to focus on the children...if you get the children, the parents will come. Going to contact the schools and get the teachers and parents involved. There will be games. Sack races. Card tables for people that like to play cards. We were in Lowe's the other day and I saw "Jocelyn Darcet". Asked her about the solstice. She gave us her card. Key will be publicity. We're starting at the right time right now, I think.

?: Where is meeting on the 17th?

Pat: Our house on St. Patrick's Day. 1606 S. Gordon St.

A: On bottom of the agenda is the date, but the address on the agenda is incorrect.

Pat: If there are any other questions...we want to look at getting prizes, and possibly a raffle. TV, donate something, etc. Thought about having a raffle every house. Something small, something homemade. If you know someone doing hand-carving, demonstrations...that would be neat. What did people do years ago during solstice? Thought about lemonade instead of so many sodas. Someone doing homemade ice cream. Old country festivals, I guess.

A: I want to open the floor for discussion. If you're new, as the meeting goes on...you can talk to Pat, etc.

John Davis (jd): Have you found a place?

Pat: I think for this year will probably get to the same location. Another location would be difficult. Octavia is applying for the permits. Want to try to expedite matters and get everything in place 2 weeks before the festival.

John Perdue (jp): responsibilities sometimes revolve around 1 or 2 or 3 people. If we can spread it out, each individual person won't have as much to do.

?: When is it?

jp: 21st of June at Muse.

Pat: Footnote. Immediately after the Solstice, start planning for next year. If you're interested, let us know. There's a lot of information already from previous Solstices.

A: Any other questions, comments?

No answer.

A: We'll be talking about this every month. We made the AJC last year. If you're interested at all, talk to Pat. Come to meeting on March 17th. The Solstice is Westview's thing. It will be as good and as big as we make it. This is the thing that we've branded for the neighborhood. Thanks for stepping up to co-chair.

b) Atlanta Streets Alive, West End!, April 20

A: One quick announcement. West End hosting Atlanta Streets Alive. Pretty notable festival. First time on our side of town. Huge deal. West End expecting 20,000 people coming to our neighborhood. Been to one...pretty packed. They close down a big section of the street...bring in food vendors, clowns, kids' games, etc. Thousands of people who come down. West End has invited Westview to be part of it. Thinking about how to invite the vendors in the area to be part of it. Anything anyone can think of. We can probably have anything we want for Westview. There usually aren't booths. But people start thinking of something we can do with Westview, West End would like businesses and entities in Westview to be part of it. I'm sure there are people who have been to Streets Alive before. Any comments, any experience with it?

Pat: Could we do...hopefully focusing on the youth...setup a table where we're selling raffle tickets in relation to the Solstice?

A: We probably can. Note that it is on Easter Sunday. I think a Youth table would be good.

David Cater (dc): A solstice table.

A: Right.

A: Can anyone share your experience?

Ja: I went to one on Edgewood. I think this is semi-annual. Really fun. Idea is to reclaim the street so it's not used just by automobiles. People come out with unicycles, scooters, etc. Exciting that it will be over here.

?: Most of the restaurants will stand outside of their restaurants and give out samples of what they serve. Great for Big Apple. Gets people out to see some of the niche restaurants. Maybe reach out to them and really push the idea that they can participate. Maybe bring people from midtown back out this direction. Let them know that there will be a ton of people, get lots of samples, menus, business cards, etc. so they can get people involved with it. Tons of music. Usually people dancing. Weird costuming. People decorating their bikes. Maybe do a clean-up crew beforehand...get streets looking beautiful.

Claudia (C): Where is it going to be?

A: I'm not sure. Usually it's a long stretch of street. Probably won't close off the Kroger.

A: Only request I'll make is to spread the word. Word of mouth gets things around. Any ideas you have...my number is on the agenda. This is the first time coming, and probably won't come for years again. Try to make it the best it is.

Treasurer's Report

C: We started in Feb with \$3628.77. We have paid out \$130 for Development Committee and for the water barrels. We've had \$193 in dues deposited. \$65 in a separate deposit for dues. We paid tonight for the rental \$150 for the year. Leaves us with \$3607.39. That included 9 memberships that were paid for the years. If you want to pay tonight you can see me or Rebecca. Check, cash...no credit cards.

A: Any questions?

Committee Reports

BEAUTIFICATION

jd: This time there is no reporting. Weather taken a toll on everything. Maybe next week we get to have something going if the weather clears up.

A: I think this is the first time in 6 years there hasn't been a report. You guys are consistent.

COMMUNITY AFFAIRS/SPECIAL EVENTS

A: Skip this.

DEVELOPMENT COMMITTEE

P: I'm Patrick Berry. Development Committee cochair with wife Steffi. 3 things to update:

- 1: Beltline. They have released the plans for the trail that will run through our neighborhood from Washington Park to Adair Park. Goes under Luceile. There will be a trail that runs in the corridor. Will be our equivalent of the Eastside trail. The design is 60% complete. We've shared it with the Yahoo group. There will be additional meetings. If you're not on the Yahoo group, I recommend you check it out. Once it's 100% complete, they'll turn it over to a construction company and then we won't be able to make edits. The group suggested an entrance at Muse Street. There's also a place where the trail goes down and dead-ends with no plaza or anything.

jp: Will there be improvements to the surface? Muddy.

P: Let me backup. East side trail is paved concrete. Landscaping, get rid of invasive species, walls with granite, we'll be getting lighting, and there will be security cameras. They learned from their mistakes. There will be benches. Older people need places to sit. Definitely will be nice. Construction plans were emailed out to the group.

Bruce (B): Could you provide some hard copies?

P: We can, but they're 30 pages long.

jp: The one-page overview would be really good too.

A: If you send it to me ahead of time, I could print a couple of copies. Maybe 11x17.

jp: Estimated time frame on starting?

P: Supposed to start around September. Will take 3 years.

C: Where is Washington Park?

P: North of us.

dc: About a mile north of where the trail veers off at I-20.

A: Do you know when they'll be at 100%?

P: No.

A: People have done a good job of fostering relationships with the city. If you want to give input, once you hit 100% design you can't ask them to go left when it goes right. They have these meetings for that purpose. If you're interested in voicing your input, take time and research it and possibly reach out to Patrick and Steffi. I would like to get a list together, and then have Patrick/Steffi start making calls to someone we know. We've already started that process. And we've already seen that once the development starts, you can go out there with your picket signs, but it's pretty much a done deal. So if you are interested, get out there and research it.

P: It's going to be great, I'm sure. There are little things where we are familiar with our neighborhood, and we know how the connections work.

- 2: Power Pole project. For 5 years have been replacing power poles along RDA. It was a project that got started with funds from the fed gov. Moving poles behind sidewalks. Idea was that GDOT thinks power poles by streets are a safety hazard because cars run into them. Exciting because we got nice upgraded power poles. And the sidewalks don't have the power poles in the middle. That also means that when they repave sidewalks, they won't have to deal with that. Part of the Westview master plan. And planting trees. Not saying that's coming, but... Lots of entities involved, Comcast, AT&T, etc. Any questions about that?
- 3: National register of historic places. We actually looked back in the minutes. Last time we talked about it was March 2011. Has been quite a while. A lot of research was required before we could submit an application. Got to the point where Chad, a historian, did a one-page letter that went to the historic department of GA...GA historic department. They basically..we petition them to submit the application. They say we're eligible. We submit application to them (Dept of Resources). They take our information and fill out a longer form, and they submit to the national register. Many phases. Then a couple of years before that happens.

jp: Are we talking about the whole neighborhood?

P: Right now we are. Local one, done by the City of Atlanta, is the one with design guidelines. Can't paint your house pink for example. Federal one has no regulations. It's no protected. You can bulldoze it. No restrictions. But it does recognize us as a historic resource. Our significance is that it was a streetcar neighborhood. When city was developed, there were lots of streetcars. When people wanted to access downtown via streetcar, neighborhoods popped up. Distinct development pattern. The big thing is that you can get tax credit for historic renovations. I think a neighbor in Adair Park said he got over \$30k in tax credits for historic renovations. So you can choose to participate.

C: But we have to get approved before we can get credits?

P: Yes. We have to be approved. And I think it is a complicated process, because they come in and restore and make sure you're doing historically accurate renovations.

Darrick (Da): Is there an idea of time frame before we'll get that designation?

P: Don't quote me on this...I think they only do the awarding once per year. Best case would be next year. it's not going to be fast at all.

?: When a neighborhood receives designation...who provides the signs?

P: We have street toppers....put there by this organization. Raised money a few years ago. On my cheat sheet: National Register does NOT provide markers or plaques. But property owners can provide those at their own expense.

GARDEN COMMITTEE

Abbey Henderson (Ab): The last couple of weeks we've been getting back into the garden. We were going to have a seed starting workshop with Patrick/Steffi with heirloom seeds. Couldn't find them. The people that came out did do some garden work. This past Sat we had 20 to 25 volunteers come out from teh Atlanta Community Food Bank. A group of teenagers drove down from a church.

dc: In North Carolina. They drove down.

Ab: Also got a lot of work done on the toolshed. The garden toolshed that will also triple as a water catchment system that we're using rain barrels from the workshop for. And also a vegetable stand. David, Joe, JoMo, Steve Bailey, Chad. We cleared a lot more of the back area of the garden so we can do some more in-ground beds and eventually have a chicken coop setup. Able to clear out the compost bin so we can start that for spring and fall and forever. Have our own Westview soil. We were able to turn over the beds. We were able to lay down some more mulch and get some of the mulch from in front of Ms. Pithy's house. So yeah...a lot of work was done. Getting ready for spring. Will be doing the seed starting workshop later on in March. Maybe last weekend in March. Have to see when we can get more seeds. Patrick and Steffi will be starting some seeds for us. Goal is to grow lots and lots of food for us and the community. Providing a service for the community. Getting them invested in this new communal institution. Saturdays we are going to be in the garden from 9 till 2. Leaves a lot of room for people to come in and out and do what they can. I'll try to post a list of different things that can be done in the garden. Trying to get the youth to come back as well. Some of the families that came last spring that were part of the garden, I've made them aware. Glad they didn't come to the workshop since the seeds weren't there...but we'll be getting the youth back. In the past we were just doing a couple of beds. Before you would donate money for your individual plot. Some people have their own, but we've made it more communal. Last year the kids planted kale, swiss chard, lettuces, different items. They were able to see how it grows, they harvested it, we went to a midtown restaurant called Empire State South that does farm to table. Were able to sell the vegetables to the chef ("sell"), and he cooked those vegetables for us, and added chickens. Talked about local food systems. All these places are looking for locally grown food, so this could be there business. And sometimes they could take stuff home. You can just imagine how exciting it's going to be....with your help. I can see there's more energy.

D: Are these the heirloom tomatoes that you guys got, Patrick/Steffi? What happened?

Ab: We don't know.

P: Abbey is going to replace them.

Pat: Mark (Mark and Scott) has lots of seeds as well.

Ab: I'm not good with handling items. We know that now.

A: So Abbey needs someone to be the item handler.

dc: We spent about \$160-odd. If payback happens, we would like to be paid back.

MEMBERSHIP COMMITTEE

Rebecca Cater (R): Membership dues have been reduced to \$20. Steffi has updated the web site. If you're interested in joining the roles, you can join at the meeting. You can sign up here, you can sign up on the web site through PayPal. We're excited to have a membership drive running this month. We created a newsletter as well. We're looking for 50 members. We have 13 as of this afternoon. That's a long way to 50. That was since last week. So we've had 13 from this week or earlier in the month. So we've created a newsletter. The membership committee would like to not also be the newsletter committee. So if you're interested that would be fantastic. The neighborhood is divided into 4 zones. So we really need 4 zone captains. Delivered newsletters with Michael Butler from Morehouse. Covered a decent stretch of Rogers in about an hour. The newsletter is announcing the drive. The idea is that the block with the most new members will sponsor a block party. Membership committee is having a meeting next Tuesday, March 11th. So if you want to get involved, that would be great. Next goal is getting volunteers to help distribute, and then to either find the yard signs used to announce meetings or create new ones. And then get them out the Friday before the meeting, and then we can continue to advertise the meetings. If you want to contribute, you can sign up tonight. I have maps.

A: I'll do Alatoona.

SAFETY COMMITTEE

Darrick Young (Da): Communicated with the Path force, the vision of the APD. They handle the Betline back over behind Beecher Hills Elementary School. Asked them for more presence. And asked about lighting. Found out there is no

lighting because it's a nature path. A nature preservation park. That's why lights can't be put up there. And unfortunately, it was brought to my attention that we had a break-in on Altoona on Friday around 11am. Police are aware of it. We will work to help make sure they're doing the proper things to close that. Items were stolen to my understanding.

?: What's the address?

Da: 399.

jp: That's the one where they had cameras?

Da: Yes. To my understanding, it was four youths with hoods. TVs taken, etc.

j scott: we had attempted break-in around 12 on Friday. Our alarm went off. 1740 Rogers. Our neighbors...one of them was there. Nothing came of it. Replaced the basement door latch today and did some work on it. The time...

rebecca scott: It was 12:23. If it was Altoona, would have given them time to get over. They didn't get in, and nothing got taken, but we got a call from the alarm company.

Da: Did you report it?

j scott: Yes, officers were called and they reported it.

A: I notice Zone 4 is missing. We definitely need to get them to come back.

Ab: Darrick, I don't know if it was you that posted it...about public safety meeting....

Da: Cascade United Methodist Church.

dc: Thursday, March 6th. 6:30 to 8:30.

? There's another safety meeting this Saturday.

dc: A "Crime and Safety Summit to Address Neighbors' Concerns".

A: Questions, thoughts?

No response.

A: One thing I'll say. Darrick is a great person to talk to. We speak to public officials frequently.

YOUTH OUTREACH

Ja: I wanted to point out it's 2 minutes to 8. I'll be quick. Youth committee will be having a larger meeting next month so we'll announce time and date at next meeting. In the meantime, some of the goals were to develop a mentor program. We've already developed some activities, and usually closely related to the garden or the solstice. Also have a junior youth group from several neighborhoods for ages 11 to 14 that meets once per week. In Westview hope to develop a mentor program. So youth of any age, all the way up through high school, can teach them about things they're interested in. If you have something to share with the youth, think about that. We'll share details.

j scott: One thing my wife and I can offer. If there are any youth that want to join the military, I would beg them to talk to me or my wife. Wife Rebecca. I have three years as recruiter, 12 years as Marine. Not a fan of recruiters though. Please, I won't tell the kid not to go. My wife has skills as well..in the air force for 8 years.

a: I would like to extend the meeting for 8:15.

Sherry Bailey (S): Propose to extend 15 minutes.

R: Second

26 yay, 1 nay.

Pat: Another group of youths, 12 and over. What them to work in the neighborhood and give them a stipend in the neighborhood. Give them a stipend. Last year we had them do cleanup. They got upset when they went by Deals and saw people had put trash up there. If you can give a donation earmarked for that.. jp and I ran the program out of our home. Took them to swimming. Came back and had lunch and dinner, and went home around 8:00. They stayed out of trouble. That's the bottom line. Need to get them occupied doing something. They want o go to the beach. Da gave tickets for them to go to Six flags. We want to take them to the aquarium. If you come across anything...let us know. We just need to find things for our children to do. The more we involve our children, the safer our neighborhood will be, and the more people will want to come in . And Ja and Ab have been doing a great job with the children they have.

Da: I'llbe real quick. I hope we all heard that. Running a summer camp out of their home. If we can support that in some way. Pat Gardner, if your office could help.

Gloria Smith, rep from Pat Gardner (pg)'s office: Definitely . And TI has come up with an organization for kids who think they want to be in that business. Have to commit to that..a 12-week program. BUt if you know kids that want to learn the ins and outs...Contact the Dunbar Center and ask about the DIYouth program.

Da: Can you get that information and provide it?

PG: Yes.

jp: Is it in the summer?

PG: coming up soon. Not sure. But they need 25 committed youth.

A: That's great. Bruce?

ZONING/CODE ENFORFCEMENT COMMITTEE

Bruce: What is code enforcement? I want to acknowledge that what I'm doign is gathering information that is already in existence. Looking for support about where we want to carry this. And I want to thank Sherry from teh list she's made just frmo walking about the neighborhood. We plan on creating a list showing what the properties are and where we are in the process. I've requested that we get someone from teh code enforcement office and ask them to do a presentation about what it is. I have paperwork...brochures, reporting form. At next meeting, I'm going to have a number that people can call if you want to remain anonymous and a format on how to report it. And track it. Are they any questions?

A: Thank you. Code enforcement is at the bottom of the agenda. It's one of those things where if we can get people to report, that's good. Thej process is broken and dysfunctional, and takes a long time...you have to get on something and make it your baby.

C: Let me mention something. One thing I've found is helpful...when you call, document the date, time, who you talked to, their name, and ask when someone will be sent out. Call back the day after and ask if someone came out. If yuo can cite "this day, this time" and ask them "what do I need to do next"...I know with a number of houses, it's taken several years to get resolved.

B: How code enforcement can land is that it's punitive and unfriendly. THere are some of our neighbors that need assistance. If people need assistance, we're going to try to help them.

dc: I'm just going to say that if someone just needs some assistance with their ratty looking house, I'll come out there with my lawnmower and help them out.

B: And this is Mary from Kennesaw. She's going to donate some lawn equipment.

Police/Public Safety

No one here.

Community Concerns/Questions/Announcements

Kwame Thompson - I'm here because I'm running for County Commissioner District 5. Friend of Darrick Young. I'm from Mechanicsville. Not here to solicit your vote. Just to listen. Adjunct Professor at Atlanta Tech and a hearing officer at APD. I'm on exec board at Mechanicsville. I'm out cleaning and cutting yards. I have Roberts Rule of Order. I am parliamentarian. Lawyer. Always behind the scenes working. Never out front. I'm just here because my biggest asset is to be a voice for the citizens. New district, district 5. Neighbors talked me into running. New area for me. Just here to listen as I begin this journey.

kwame4change.com - My web site.

Ms. Bonita - We have a new restaurant called D's next to Big Apple Inn. I have copies of their menu. This is tentative. I'm sure things will change. So far...had foods there and it's pretty good. Collard Greens every day. Otherwise, they're not open every single day. Hours on the bottom of the menu. If there's any input or suggestions, let me know and I can pass on the suggestions.

A: A couple of us went there for brunch. Apple fritters very, very, very good. I'm going to try to get people there for brunch.

PG: Just found out that medical marijuana just passed. Not sure about the gun law. Final thing: our governor as of yet has not signed medicaid expansion bill. Going to encourage him to sign that. Each day that passes is a day we're losing money. Any questions?

No response

PG: I'll ask her about the youth program. But I think this would be a good call to see if she can help. And I'll get info about the DI program.

Jen Farris (jen): My father saw vision in this neighborhood. Didn't live to see it out. Owned two properties (S. Gordon and Olympian). I'm building a Little Free Library putting in front of each house. I'm inspired to add a box that you see like when realtors are selling houses. Going to add a box....now that I'm at first ever meeting...going to put a message box. Maybe I can make that a dual purpose. It's a little dresser drawer where you can upcycle and create a little house for donated books. I can help you and provide materials for it. It's a trust system. And maybe we can put notices on the side of it about the meetings.

Da: Are you at the house right near the yield sign?:

jen: Yes, right on the corner.

A: Thank you.

Ab: I'm willing to donate books. To go back on what you're saying about lobbying...I work with Arc Neighborhood (sp?) talking about bringing resources to our neighborhood to help those with criminal records clear their records so they can get jobs and housing. GA justice dept is doing a lobby day, 8:30 at Capital on Thursday ending at 12, breakfast and lunch provided, where we'll be petitioning to get rid of the box asking people to identify whether they are a felon, so they can tell their story before they get judged. I'll put that on the Westview board.

Someone from Zone 4 just showed up.

A: Want to give new members a chance to introduce themselves if this is your first meeting.

- 382 Enota Place. Magiam Barnes (?). Lived here a long time. Over 30 years.
- Rebecca (Becca) and Jay Scott. 1740 Rogers Ave. I do arts and crafts. Photography, jewelry making, carving, painting...all kinds of stuff. Going to be doing beautification. I can take photos for the newsletter that really make the neighborhood shine. I'm all happy to lend whatever talent I've got.
- Mary: Brought a group from Kennesaw State to exec committee meeting. They bailed tonight because papers are due. Any resources that we know, we'll be bringing to the table. We're here to learn from you. I can send out

Submitted by David Cater, Secretary

Westview Community Organization, Inc. • 426 Altoona Place, Atlanta, GA 30310
www.westviewatlanta.com

information: our assignment is to look at neighborhoods to see how they grow, what the dynamic is, what resources are available, what resources they need, social dynamics. Last week in class we saw a video about a neighborhood in Boston. In the exec committee meeting I was so touched by the love people have for the neighborhood. Looking at neighborhoods over a long period of time, it's you guys that make a difference. We'll be working in this neighborhood. Our semester ends first of May.

A: With all due respect to man from Zone 4, I'm going to adjourn the meeting. Thank you for coming out. April 7th is the next meeting.

Closing: 3/3/2014 8:24:24 PM

Ja: gave a closing prayer.